Joint edema – one of the most common symptoms that accompanies the loss of bones and joints of the body. Symptom rarely occurs in isolation and is usually combined with other classic symptoms of inflammation: pain, redness, and violation of the joint function – or just some of them.
The symptom most often develops in the opening diseases. It is characterized by a visible increase in the volume of the joint (compared to non-affected joint the other side) and often arching or garter pain.
In the diagnosis of joint swelling is necessary to distinguish
- Edema of the surrounding tissue (e.g., in response to injury of soft tissue, sprains, fractures, etc.);
- Inflammatory swelling of the synovial membrane of the joint during its defeat (rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and others.);
- Swelling of the joint as a result of bleeding in the joints to form a hemarthrosis;
- Edema due to inflammatory exudate into the joint cavity with damage to internal
- joint structures (ligaments, articular cartilage, and others.);
- Swelling of the joint due to decompensation of chronic diseases (chronic heart failure, renal and hepatic failure and others.).
As is clear from the reduced above diagnostic classification, causes swelling most often the inflammatory processes of various origins, injuries and chronic disease decompensation.
The nature of joint swelling is not selective symptom of the disease or, as has diagnostic value only in conjunction with other signs. An important role is also played by the history of the disease, early onset of symptoms, the nature and duration of lesions, etc.
DIFFERENCES OF CERTAIN DISEASES
- Gout most often will be affected big toe with a characteristic symptom of pain, severe joint swelling (skin taut, to shine), its redness and sudden dysfunction before cupping of an attack.
- Rheumatoid arthritis has a characteristic lesion of fine joints of the hands or middle joints of the extremities with severe swelling, pain and dysfunction. Accompanied by fever, weakness, defeat serous membranes and kidneys. However, during the illness – “volatility” of these signs (the affected joints are constantly changing), there remains unexpressed some swelling and stiffness in the joints (with weighting of the disease – their rough strain).
- When osteoarthritis joint swelling occurs most frequently in oiled inflammatory response (no redness or increase in skin temperature over the affected joint), unexpressed stiffness characteristic pain syndrome (an increase by the end of the day, and full of his relief after the night’s rest). With careful examination can detect the characteristic nodules or heberden Bouchard.
- When trauma occurs severe joint swelling and edema, discoloration of the skin (bluish or dark red), obtuse or acute arching pain, severe disturbance of function.
Reactive arthritis develops with a pronounced upward (eg, finger, ankle, knee, hip) lesion of the lower limb joints, vivid hyperemia, edema, unexpressed pain, elevated body temperature. In the history of the disease: Moved recently chlamydial or intestinal infection.
Joint edema – a symptom complex which requires consulting a specialist primary care to establish an accurate diagnosis (surgeon, physician, trauma). To self-medicate is not recommended.